Team Members Kili-2012

Our mission: Be bold! Promote a healthy life-style involving fitness, team-work, social engagement, perseverance, innovation and pleasure.

Our goal: Reach the top of Mount Kilimanjaro.


This blog is available in:
Français

Team Members Kili-2012:
André Bégin - André Lachapelle - Catherine Fortin - Chantale Bonin - Isabelle Privé - Janie Brunet - Louis Hamelin - Lucie Corbeil - Manon Fairfield - Manon Marleau - Martine Lussier - Mélanie Lauzon - Nadine Lauzon - Nathalie Roussin - Pierre Gauvin - Richard Barbeau - Rosanna Chechile - Sylvain Thériault

www.ex-pe.ca

www.ex-pe.ca
Mathieu Fleury mountain partner Ex-Pé

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Mounts Jefferson and Washington - what an adventure! Part 1


By Isabelle Privé

We're now 50 days away from the great adventure.

I want to tell you about our weekend up Mounts Jefferson and Washington and, as I have lots to say, my article will be in two parts.



Climbing Mounts Jefferson and Washington two weeks ago was a test of endurance and mental and physical strength amid breathtaking scenery.

Up at 3h30 am to be ready for my lift to the meeting point. Everybody's there! Hugs all round. The whole gang together at last. Yes! Even Nadine is with us after a long convalescence following her knee surgery in January. Let's go Wong!

We leave in a procession of 6 cars - the journey begins.
We've known about this trip for over a year.

An hour's wait at customs - a drawback of going to the USA.

So, we get to Mount Jefferson at 11h00 and we're ready to set off.
Personally, I've no idea what's in store. Only one thing to say - it's steep! Very steep!

Mount Jefferson tests our muscles to the limit. I think about my trainers Hermann and Dany who made me suffer through boot camp and interval running and I'm so grateful because my muscles hurt so badly, worse and worse and, when I look ahead, I realise there's still a very long way to go. I'm pleased with myself too for training so hard and always pushing myself to do more. Learning to live with burning muscles and learning to trust your body has turned out to be a valuable lesson.


The mental challenge is just as daunting. When there are no more trees and you have to climb rocky mountain slopes. Our walking poles are no use and we have to depend on our hands and feet. You have to relax, breath and stay concentrated as you can always slip. You have to resist the instinct to look back and imagining what would happen if you fell.

Fortunately all that is offset by magic moments when you are absorbed by the beauty of the scenery - the Appalachians as far as you can see. You feel completely one with nature, with the beauty of the universe. It still gives me goose bumps!

On we go! Burning muscles. Concentrate. One step at a time. Another psychological hurdle: the mountain doesn't go up in a straight line with the summit always in sight. You think you see the summit - get that far and it's over. But -  as soon as you get there, there's another one. I think Mount Jefferson had 4 summits! Each time I had to dig deeper to find the energy to carry on.

Another thing I learn: you can actually talk to your muscles! Really! At the 3rd summit, my muscles have been telling me for a good hour that they can't go on any longer. I then realise that there's a 4th summit and maybe more after. So I get mad and say to my muscles "Just shut up and move!" Well, I could swear that all the pain went away. I believe that's what sportsmen call breaking through the wall. And that's how I got through mine.

At last  - the final summit! What joy! What pride! All the pain, the fear, the exhaustion are forgotten!
Victory!

Then you remember you have to come down again. Ouch!

If the ascent was difficult, the descent is just as bad. Perfect concentration is needed just to keep your balance on the rocks. Every ounce of strength and agility is essential for climbing from one rock to another all the way down.

That's when the collective strength of the team comes into play. We're in small groups of 2, 3 or 4. We encourage each other, saying that no-one is alone. We try not to show our exhaustion, knowing that everybody's just as tired. We laugh to take our mind off things, we encourage and support each other. I don't know why but the way back seems so much longer that the outward climb.

Finally - we're down! It's about 6 pm. We collapse and take off our boots. Oh for some flip-flops!

Next up - food!

Honestly, the best beer in the world is the one you drink after a day up a mountain.

That was just our first day. Mount Washington is still to come.......



Translated by Pamela Gauvin

No comments:

Post a Comment